Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Yarrow in Manhattan?


(Achillea Millefolium 'Moonshine' found outside of a public school in the East Village last July, photo: Alex Feleppa)

Question:
Can a yarrow plant grow inside? Where in Manhattan can I purchase a yarrow plant?

Answer:
I do not think that you could successfully grow yarrow indoors. Yarrow, Achillea millefolium and its many hybrids, is a winter hardy perennial here in the northeast and without a winter chill to allow the plant to go dormant I do not think it would survive. Or, I should say, it might live indoors, but is certainly not going to be as happy as those you see in outdoor gardens around the city. As far as where to find yarrow in Manhattan, I might first check at the Farmer’s Market in Union Square. The Market is open Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, and it is best to get there early in the day. Recently I have noticed greater amounts and selections of perennials for sale and a coworker mentioned that he saw yarrow plants for sale not too long ago. If you strike out there, then I would visit Chelsea Garden Center or Dimitri’s. Chelsea Garden Center is on 11th Avenue at 44th Street and Dimitri’s has moved to 2413 Third Avenue in the Bronx. They also have websites if you would prefer to go that route and call before visiting. Of course there is the Flower District on 28th Street but it can be a challenge finding perennials some times. I tend to go there more for houseplants, tropicals, annuals, or the occasional woody plant. As a final thought, I wonder if the garden sections at Home Depot might have anything. Out near my home in Astoria, Queens, I bought a bunch of great looking yarrow last week for cheap, but perhaps that is just the case at Home Depots in the outer-boroughs. Needless to say it is better to buy locally from a grower at the Farmer’s Market or one of the garden centers, but I want to present you will all the options that come to mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment